Build terminals in the browser
First you need to install the module, we ship exclusively through npm so you need that installed and then add xterm.js as a dependency by running:
npm install xterm
To start using xterm.js on your browser, add the
xterm.css to the head of your html page. Then create a
<div id="terminal"></div> onto which xterm can attach itself. Finally instantiate the
Terminal object and then call the
open function with the DOM object of the
<!doctype html> <html> <head> <link rel="stylesheet" href="node_modules/xterm/css/xterm.css" /> <script src="node_modules/xterm/lib/xterm.js"></script> </head> <body> <div id="terminal"></div> <script> var term = new Terminal(); term.open(document.getElementById('terminal')); term.write('Hello from \x1B[1;3;31mxterm.js\x1B[0m $ ') </script> </body> </html>
Xterm.js is used in several world-class applications to provide great terminal experiences.
- SourceLair: In-browser IDE that provides its users with fully-featured Linux terminals based on xterm.js.
- Microsoft Visual Studio Code: Modern, versatile, and powerful open source code editor that provides an integrated terminal based on xterm.js.
- ttyd: A command-line tool for sharing terminal over the web, with fully-featured terminal emulation based on xterm.js.
- Katacoda: Katacoda is an Interactive Learning Platform for software developers, covering the latest Cloud Native technologies.
- Eclipse Che: Developer workspace server, cloud IDE, and Eclipse next-generation IDE.
- Codenvy: Cloud workspaces for development teams.
- CoderPad: Online interviewing platform for programmers. Run code in many programming languages, with results displayed by xterm.js.
- WebSSH2: A web based SSH2 client using xterm.js, socket.io, and ssh2.
- Spyder Terminal: A full fledged system terminal embedded on Spyder IDE.
- Cloud Commander: Orthodox web file manager with console and editor.
- Next Tech: Online platform for interactive coding and web development courses. Live container-backed terminal uses xterm.js.
- RStudio: RStudio is an integrated development environment (IDE) for R.
- Terminal for Atom: A simple terminal for the Atom text editor.
- Eclipse Orion: A modern, open source software development environment that runs in the cloud. Code, deploy, and run in the cloud.
- Gravitational Teleport: Gravitational Teleport is a modern SSH server for remotely accessing clusters of Linux servers via SSH or HTTPS.
- Selenoid UI: Simple UI for the scalable golang implementation of Selenium Hub named Selenoid. We use XTerm for streaming logs over websockets from docker containers.
- Portainer: Simple management UI for Docker.
- SSHy: HTML5 Based SSHv2 Web Client with E2E encryption utilising xterm.js, SJCL & websockets.
- JupyterLab: An extensible computational environment for Jupyter, supporting interactive data science and scientific computing across all programming languages.
- Theia: Theia is a cloud & desktop IDE framework implemented in TypeScript.
- Opshell Ops Helper tool to make life easier working with AWS instances across multiple organizations.
- Proxmox VE: Proxmox VE is a complete open-source platform for enterprise virtualization. It uses xterm.js for container terminals and the host shell.
- Script Runner: Run scripts (or a shell) in Atom.
- Whack Whack Terminal: Terminal emulator for Visual Studio 2017.
- VTerm: Extensible terminal emulator based on Electron and React.
- electerm: electerm is a terminal/ssh/sftp client(mac, win, linux) based on electron/node-pty/xterm.
- Kubebox: Terminal console for Kubernetes clusters.
- Azure Cloud Shell: Azure Cloud Shell is a Microsoft-managed admin machine built on Azure, for Azure.
- atom-xterm: Atom plugin for providing terminals inside your Atom workspace.
- rtty: Access your terminals from anywhere via the web.
- Pisth: An SFTP and SSH client for iOS.
- abstruse: Abstruse CI is a continuous integration platform based on Node.JS and Docker.
- Azure Data Studio: A data management tool that enables working with SQL Server, Azure SQL DB and SQL DW from Windows, macOS and Linux.
- FreeMAN: A free, cross-platform file manager for power users.
- Fluent Terminal: A terminal emulator based on UWP and web technologies.
- Hyper: A terminal built on web technologies.
- Diag: A better way to troubleshoot problems faster. Capture, share and reapply troubleshooting knowledge so you can focus on solving problems that matter.
- GoTTY: A simple command line tool that shares your terminal as a web application based on xterm.js.
- genact: A nonsense activity generator.
- cPanel & WHM: The hosting platform of choice.
- Nutanix: Nutanix Enterprise Cloud uses xterm in the webssh functionality within Nutanix Calm, and is also looking to move our old noserial (termjs) functionality to xterm.js.
- SSH Web Client: SSH Web Client with PHP.
- Juno: A flexible Julia IDE, based on Atom.
- webssh: Web based ssh client.
- info-beamer hosted: Uses xterm.js to manage digital signage devices from the web dashboard.
- Jumpserver: Jumpserver Luna project, Jumpserver is a bastion server project, Luna use xterm.js for web terminal emulation.
- LxdMosaic: Uses xterm.js to give terminal access to containers through LXD
- CodeInterview.io: A coding interview platform in 25+ languages and many web frameworks. Uses xterm.js to provide shell access.
- Bastillion: Bastillion is an open-source web-based SSH console that centrally manages administrative access to systems.
- NgTerminal: NgTerminal is a web terminal that leverages xterm.js on Angular 7+. You can easily add it into your application by adding
<ng-terminal></ng-terminal>into your component.
- tty-share: Extremely simple terminal sharing over the Internet.
- Ten Hands: One place to run your command-line tasks.
- WebAssembly.sh: A WebAssembly WASI browser terminal
- Gus: A shared coding pad where you can run Python with xterm.js
- Linode: Linode uses xterm.js to provide users a web console for their Linode instances.
- FluffOS: Active maintained LPMUD driver with websocket support.
- x-terminal: Atom plugin for providing terminals inside your Atom workspace.
- CoCalc: Lots of free software pre-installed, to chat, collaborate, develop, program, publish, research, share, teach, in C++, HTML, Julia, Jupyter, LaTeX, Markdown, Python, R, SageMath, Scala, …
- Dank Domain: Open source multiuser medieval game supporting old & new terminal emulation.
- DockerStacks: Local LAMP/LEMP development studio
- Codecademy: Uses xterm.js in its courses on Bash.
- Laravel Ssh Web Client: Laravel server inventory with ssh web client to connect at server using xterm.js
- Replit: Collaborative browser based IDE with support for 50+ different languages.
- TeleType: cli tool that allows you to share your terminal online conveniently. Show off mad cli-fu, help a colleague, teach, or troubleshoot.
- Intervue: Pair programming for interviews. Multiple programming languages are supported, with results displayed by xterm.js.
- TRASA: Zero trust access to Web, SSH, RDP, and Database services.
- Commas: Commas is a hackable terminal and command runner.
- Devtron: Software Delivery Workflow For Kubernetes.
- NxShell: An easy to use new terminal for SSH.
- gifcast: Converts an asciinema cast to an animated GIF.
- WizardWebssh: A terminal with Pyqt5 Widget for embedding, which can be used as an ssh client to connect to your ssh servers. It is written in Python, based on tornado, paramiko, and xterm.js.
- Wizard Assistant: Wizard Assistant comes with advanced automation tools, preloaded common and special time-saving commands, and a built-in SSH terminal. Now you can remotely administer, troubleshoot, and analyze any system with ease.
- ucli: Command Line for everyone :family_man_woman_girl_boy: at www.ucli.tech.
- Tess: Simple Terminal Fully Customizable for Everyone. Discover more at tessapp.dev
- HashiCorp Nomad: A container orchestrator with the ability to connect to remote tasks via a web interface using websockets and xterm.js.
- TermPair: View and control terminals from your browser with end-to-end encryption
- gdbgui: Browser-based frontend to gdb (gnu debugger)
- goormIDE: Run almost every programming languages with real-time collaboration, live pair programming, and built-in messenger.
- FleetDeck: Remote desktop & virtual terminal
- OpenSumi: A framework helps you quickly build Cloud or Desktop IDE products.
- KubeSail: The Self-Hosting Company - uses xterm to allow users to exec into kubernetes pods and build github apps
- WiTTY: Web-based interactive terminal emulator that allows users to easily record, share, and replay console sessions.
- libv86 Terminal Forwarding: Peer-to-peer SSH for the web, using WebRTC via Bugout for data transfer and v86 for web-based virtualization.
- hack.courses: Interactive Linux and command-line classes using xterm.js to expose a real terminal available for everyone.
- Render: Platform-as-a-service for your apps, websites, and databases using xterm.js to provide a command prompt for user containers and for streaming build and runtime logs.
- CloudTTY: A Friendly Kubernetes CloudShell (Web Terminal).
- Go SSH Web Client: A simple SSH web client using Go, WebSocket and Xterm.js.
- web3os: A decentralized operating system for the next web
- Cratecode: Learn to program for free through interactive online lessons. Cratecode uses xterm.js to give users access to their own Linux environment.